How to Ship a Car? – Types of Trailers and Trucks Used
Are you planning to ship your car to a different place? Well, you might get transferred to another country or even to another city but you cannot drive your car to that place. So, how will you transport it to the other place? This is where you will need the help of a shipping service.
Everyone probably knows about vehicle shipping services but what you might not have thought about is the different types of trailers and trucks used for shipping vehicles. Your shipping service like Ship a Car, Inc will help you choose the right car shipping trailer or truck but you must still know what the types are before you ship your vehicle.
When we talk about shipping services the first company that comes to our mind is Ship A Car Inc as it is one of the best vehicle shipping services in the US. They provide all kinds of services from individual to business to a few specialized services. You can get your free online transport quote by visiting their website.
Different types of Trailers and Trucks Used for Shipping a Car:
Auto-transport can be done by two types of carriers, open carriers as well as enclosed carriers. If you are shipping your vehicle with Ship A Car Inc, you can choose any of these types. There are also other options under these categories but let’s first understand what they mean.
Any trailer without sides is an open carrier trailer. There are different types under this type. The only thing that is common in them is that they are open and exposed to the environment. It is safe and effective and is also the most commonly used method. Open transport trailers can carry from one to ten vehicles. The only thing you need to know is how to wrap and strap the vehicle.
Carriers used for open transport are as follows:
- Single Vehicle Hotshot Trailers: It is usually used for transporting vehicles to a short distance but if expedited shipping is required, then it can also be used for long-distance shipping. These are often confused with tow trucks, but they are different. You can only haul one vehicle at a time in this type.
- Single-level more than one car trailers: This is used for shipping more than one truck. This type can ship two to six trucks at a time It is larger than a single hotshot carrier.
- Multi-level multi-vehicle trailers: This is the standard type used for open transport carriers.
Enclosed Auto Transport:
Unlike open transport, enclosed transport is covered from all sides and is not commonly used. The owners use this method only if the vehicles are too expensive or valuable to them. Sports cars, Classic cars, luxury cars, rare cars, and others are usually transported through this method.
- Single-level, one-vehicle enclosed trailer: It is used for shipping single vehicles for short distances.
- Single-level, more than one-vehicle enclosed trailers: These are used for transporting valuable cars and trucks in a single file.
- Multi-level, more than one -vehicle enclosed trailer: These are semi-trucks with adjustable deck ramps to load and unload vehicles.